NetGalley Review - Even Stranger

Even Stranger - Marilyn Messik

Having thoroughly enjoyed Relatively Strange, which was the first book in this series, I was really looking forward to reading Even Stranger, and I’m pleased to announce it did not disappoint.

I love the characters that Marilyn Messik has created for this series, and not just because they manage to make me feel less strange. It was great seeing a more mature and confident Stella a few years on from the first book too.

Although, overall, I wouldn’t describe this book as particularly scary, I think it needs to come with the following warning:

“Remove all potentially creepy dolls (and even the cute ones, if you wish them to remain cute in your mind) before reading this book.”

One part of this book spooked me so much, I think it knocked a few years off my life. I almost had a heart attack when I looked over at my beautiful doll, Betony, while I was reading, only to discover she had moved position and was staring straight at me! I was on the verge of jumping out of the upstairs window, until I remembered I moved her for the first time in ages, just a few days earlier to show her to my friend. Phew! She still gave me the creeps though, as she was giving me the look, while I stared at her suspiciously. I was even suspicious of her the following night, but we’re back on good terms again now, thank goodness.

There were parts of this story that made me giggle and one part that left me craving aniseed balls for about two days. Now I’ve reminded myself about them, I’m craving them again. They are one of my dad’s favourite sweets, so I grew up eating them, and adore the smell and taste of aniseed.

You will need to read Relatively Strange before reading Even Stranger, but if you enjoy the first book, then I highly recommend reading this book too.

I would like to thank the publisher, Troubador Publishing Ltd for allowing me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1628081073