Book Review - In the Shadows

In the Shadows - Tara Lyons

In the Shadows (apart from reminding me of one of my all-time favourite songs, In the Shadows, by The Rasmus) is a great psychological crime thriller featuring a ruthless serial killer. Pick up this book when you have plenty of time to read, as you won’t want to put this one down.

As someone who is not a huge fan of crime and police procedural novels, I’m pleased to report that this book doesn’t focus too heavily on the police procedural aspect, but focusses more on the characters and in some cases, their psychological state, which I love.

I found the plot fast paced and exciting. I loved the mix of characters, and by half way through I had chosen three potential suspects for the serial killer. I changed my mind so many times, my head was in a spin. The question is, did I get it right in the end? Ooh, that would be telling.

I felt myself becoming more on edge as the story approached its end, and I loved the way the story concluded.

A few days after I had finished reading this book, my friend Claire Knight suggested I read the prologue again, and wow, I’m so pleased I did, as it took on a whole new meaning. I definitely recommend reading the prologue again once you have finished this book.

I highly recommend this to fans of psychological thrillers and crime novels. I can’t wait to see what this author writes next, as this was a great debut novel.

I would like to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, and wish her success with this and any future novels.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1546386201