NetGalley Review - The Thing About Jellyfish

The Thing About Jellyfish - Ali Benjamin

The Thing About Jellyfish is a touching tale about a young girl whose best (and only) friend drowns while on holiday. As the story progresses we discover that Suzy’s grief is much more than just the loss of her friend, but frustration at something happening without apparent reason, and regret about the things that took place between them before her friend died. Such a lot for a young soul to carry. I finished this last night, but I’m still feeling emotional about it. I’m so pleased I discovered this book.

I feel like I’ve just had a life changing lesson in jellyfish, amongst other important things, from a very smart 12 year old. I liked her outlook on life, the world and the people around her. I admired her strength and confidence, despite not being popular at school. There was something special within her that I wish I’d had when I was being bullied at school. Perhaps I did have it, but didn’t realise it at the time. I had very frizzy hair too, and I wanted to tell her, it’s okay Frizz Ease and hair straighteners will become your best friends once you’re a little older. You can control the frizz.

I suspected this book was going to make me cry before I even started it, I just didn't realise I'd need a whole box of tissues. What a beautiful, delightful, yet emotional tale.

Although I enjoy religious and spiritual books, I loved how this had the same emotional impact on me without the religious aspect. I was surprised how learning scientific facts about jellyfish, with a bit of philosophical thought thrown in, could be so emotional and thought provoking.

This is like Stephen King’s Carrie for kids!

The Thing About Jellyfish is a great story for older children, young teenagers, and it seems this 37 year old girl very much enjoyed it too.

I would like to thank the publisher, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers for allowing me a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.