Book Review - A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding

A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding: A Novel - Jackie Copleton

A Dictionary of Mutual Understanding is about the devastation of war and the impact it had on one particular family, after an atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.

I loved the style this book was written in and the way the story gradually came together. In places this was rather an emotional read, but overall a compelling story that felt very real.

The definitions at the beginning of each chapter were fascinating and gave me an insight in to Japanese culture, and how it differs so much from that of my own culture. Some of the views of women and their place in society made me grateful for the time and place I grew up, as I am lucky to have had so much more freedom and respect.

I think this would appeal to fans of both contemporary and historical fiction, and especially those who enjoy family sagas and stories that focus closely on a few specific well developed characters.

I would like to thank the publishers for a copy of this book, via THE Book Club (TBC) on Facebook, in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1628847541