NetGalley Review - Sleep Sister

Sleep Sister: A page-turning novel of psychological suspense - Laura Elliot

Having really enjoyed The Betrayal, by the same author, I was intrigued by this book. I love the cover, and thought the blurb sounded interesting.

I was a little unsure how I’d get on with reading about child abuse. I’ve read some pretty heavy books over the years, but this particular subject is one I would tend to avoid. However, on this occasion I decided to give it a go.

Although I read this book to the very end, it definitely wasn’t for me. There were some interesting characters, but I did feel there were too many characters for me to keep track of. The plot was interesting, but didn’t progress in a way I would have hoped. The book also seemed much longer than I was expecting. I’m not sure if it is particularly long or whether it just felt like it was.

This story is dark, heavy and somewhat depressing. I kept wishing there was more revenge and justice, but the focus was much more on the dismal lives of those deeply affected by abuse, and the impact that had on those around them. Perhaps that was the intention. It is more realistic that way, rather than some sort of false escapism that I hoped would be injected into the book. I suppose there is no escaping certain things in life, and abuse is one of them.

Just writing this review, and remembering details of the book is making me feel more depressed. It feels like this book weighed too heavily on my heart. I’m sure many authors spend a lifetime trying to achieve that intensity of emotion in their readers, so that is a job well done.

If you enjoy slow burning family sagas and don’t mind them being quite dark and depressing, then I would recommend this book.

I would like to thank the publisher, Bookouture for allowing me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1595223282