NetGalley Review - Last Kiss Goodnight

Last Kiss Goodnight: A heart-breaking story of lost children and the power of a mother's love - Teresa Driscoll

I absolutely loved Recipes for Melissa last year, so when I saw that the author had a new book out, I had to read it. I’m pleased to report that I was not disappointed. Last Kiss Goodnight is another beautifully written and emotional read.

Having read two books by this author now, I’m discovering that Teresa Driscoll has a way of creating authentic characters that are genuinely lovable. It is impossible not to get emotionally involved in the story. This novel has a good mix of happy and sad moments, and I had tears in my eyes while reading the epilogue. I also loved the friendships between some of the characters, and the feel of the close-knit community.

I did work out a number of outcomes quite early on, which did take away the element of surprise, but I wouldn’t say this had an impact on my overall enjoyment of the book, as I enjoyed the emotional journey of each character as the story progressed. I guess it’s kind of like watching one of your favourite films. You know what is going to happen, but you still watch and enjoy it, looking forward to your favourite parts, perhaps occasionally wishing for another outcome, or just happy that it ended the same way again.

I would say this is as well written as Recipes for Melissa, so I feel I need to justify why this gets 4 stars instead of 5, as it is no reflection on the quality of writing. My only justification for this is that Recipes for Melissa felt more personal to me, because it brought back childhood memories due to me making soda bread with my Irish mother when I was young, and watching Jaws with my dad when I was only 4 years old. Plus, I have lived in Cornwall for the last few years, so I had that connection too.

I'm confident this is a book that will be loved my many over the coming months, and highly recommend it to those who enjoy emotional, sometimes heart-breaking stories with well developed and lovable characters.

I would like to thank the publisher, Bookouture for allowing me a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1556901400