Book Review - The Customer is Always Right

The Customer Is Always... - Stuart Keane

This is a very tense, sweat inducing, fast paced thriller of a novella.

The Customer is Always Right brought back old memories of the two years I worked for a Life Assurance company in the late 90s. I actually worked for one of the admin teams, but occasionally we were dragged off our section kicking and screaming to cover for the helpline. I absolutely dreaded having to cover on the helpline.

One day I had a customer wanting to know about their policy. I did the usual security checks, and all seemed okay, so I gave him the further details he requested. It was as I was doing this that I spotted some scanned images of previous correspondence with all sorts of red scribble added to them by staff, warning that there was suspicious and potential fraudulent behaviour taking place, and that the customer ringing may not actually be the owner of the policy. It sent me into a state of panic, as I felt way out of my depth.

To this day, I still don’t know how I kept it together, but I managed to somehow calmly convince the customer I was going to allow them to close their policy and claim the full value on it. I talked him into sending his request in writing to me personally. When it arrived on my desk a couple of weeks later, he had provided me with his address in Nigeria, and was then caught by people way above me. I got praised for helping to solve a fraud case, but I could have so easily got in trouble instead if it hadn't gone quite the way it did.

Because of my own experience, I absolutely loved the tension in this story and felt I could relate to what Vincent was going through. This was very hard to put down, and I’m definitely looking forward to reading more by this author.

Thank you to the author for sending me an eBook copy of The Customer is Always Right, after I won a copy in a giveaway run by Booklover Catlady Publicity.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1473269932