Book Review - Alchemy: A Story of Perfect Murder

Alchemy: a story of perfect murder - Chris   James

I bought Alchemy: A Story of Perfect Murder after seeing so many people say they loved it, and I'm pleased to report that I wasn’t disappointed.

I didn’t find it particularly gory. I must be a hardened reader. I was a little concerned it was going to be a little too macabre, based on other comments and reviews. Although this is naturally somewhat dark due to the nature of the subject matter, it turned out to be so much more.

This story has much more depth to it than I anticipated. It is cleverly plotted, with some impressive twists I never saw coming. There is an interesting mix of characters. The attention to detail helped draw me into the story and its surroundings, making this book very atmospheric.

I visited the Victorian Village at Flambards in Cornwall for the first time yesterday. Perfect timing, as it really did bring my recent memories of this book to life. Having read this book a few days before visiting the Victorian Village undoubtedly improved my experience of walking around the museum village yesterday. The sign above the door of the Chemist Time Capsule Shop stating “Prescriptions Accurately Prepared” gave me a giggle as I thought about this book.

Great for lovers of historical murder mystery. I think this would also really appeal to fans of gothic novels, such as Frankenstein. However, this is in no way a retelling of such a story. This is very much a unique story in its own right.

I’m really looking forward to the next book in this series.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1290184364